[phenixbb] High B factors

ssolmaz ssolmaz at binghamton.edu
Thu Jul 11 08:50:52 PDT 2019

Dear all,
We recently determined a protein structure by molecular replacement and the
statistics are looking good, however, the average B-factor is unusually
high, and the Wilson B-factor is high too.  A quick research on the subject
suggested that high B-factors are acceptable as long as one has excluded
and double-checked for other crystallographic problems. Which problems
should I check for and what is your opinion on the high B-factor? Is there
anything that could be done to lower it?

Resolution: 2.5 A
Space group P3121, 60.0 60.0 142.6 90 90 120
R work 24.6%
R free 26.4%
Wilson B-factor 73.2
Average B-factor 99.5

Thank you for your advice,
Best, Sozanne.

Sozanne Solmaz, Ph. D.
Assistant Professor of Biological Chemistry
Department of Chemistry, State University of New York at Binghamton
PO Box 6000, Binghamton, NY 13902
Office: Smart Energy Building Room SN1045
25 Murray Hill Road, Vestal, NY, 13850
http://chemiris.chem.binghamton.edu/SOLMAZ/solmaz.html