[phenixbb] model vs Wilson b-factor

MARTYN SYMMONS martainn_oshiomains at btinternet.com
Wed Apr 21 15:01:19 PDT 2010

Perhaps worth pointing out that that Wilson B is the based on the assumption of randomly distributed atoms. This is not at all how proteins are, and in particular secondary structures give a preponderance of spacings in the 4 angstrom-ish region and a peak of mean intensity in these shells. For this reason the apparent fall-off in the Wilson in this resolution range is steeper as you are falling down off of the peak due to this seondary structure giving favoured spacings that produce a deviation from randomness in this resolution range. So it will be dependent on the secondary structure of the an individual protein . So the Wilson gets about right when you deal with spacings that tend to be unbiased by secondary structure - which unfortunately is the bit that is missing in the low resolution crystal data. Wilson fall off in low resolution looks steep because the random assumption is invalid.

Maybe you can guess the secondary content of your protein from where the bump is in the Wilson plot - beta gives a bulge in the 4 ang region - alpha in the 5 to 9 ang region.

all the best
               Martyn

Martyn Symmons
Cambridge