[phenixbb] Phaser and anisotropy question

Dale Tronrud det102 at uoxray.uoregon.edu
Thu Sep 10 09:46:00 PDT 2009

   Sharpening the map to aid the human eye is one thing, modifying
the data you put into refinement is another matter completely.

   People have been sharpening low resolution maps for model-building
for years, anisotropy has nothing to do with it.  It seems to be
easier for the eye to pick out features in the contours of a
sharpened map when the resolution is low.  There is no reason to
expect that the sharpness of the data in the best diffracting
direction is the optimal sharpness for model-building.  You may
wish to sharpen more depending on your data set and your eyes.

   Refinement programs don't care.  If you up weight the high
resolution terms your average B will drop, the Fcalc's also up
weight and you end up with the same difference coefficients, the
same shifts, and the same results.  All that happens of significance
is that you have inappropriately lowered your atomic B factors
and your Table 1 gives the reader an overoptimistic view of the
quality of your model.

   If you have a low resolution map, by all means go ahead and
look at a sharpened version (as I said, anisotropy has nothing
to do with it).  You must, however, refine your model against
the data you actually collected.

Dale Tronrud