[phenixbb] secondary structure restraints

Nikos Pinotsis Nikos.Pinotsis at icr.ac.uk
Mon Aug 11 10:11:03 PDT 2008

Dear all,

I am refinining a 3.5 A structure where several of fragments are already
determined in higher resolution (similar to the case I found below). In
addition a large part of the structure is quite disordered (two out of
four chains). I found a reply about a year ago that secondary structure
restraints are not implemented in phenix, is there any new developements
that can help the refinement in low resolution? (I have already employed
NCS other common posibilities).

thank you in advance for any help and best regards
Nikos

 >/ On May 4, 2007, at 5:10 PM, Pavel Afonine wrote:
/>/
/>>/ Hi Jianghai,
/>>/
/>>/ I see several possibilities to think about or/and try out:
/>>/
/>>/ 1) Fix the coordinates of atoms in the domains for which the high
/>>/ resolution structure is available and refine the rest;
/>>/ 2) Refine the domains for which the high resolution structure is
/>>/ available as rigid bodies and for the rest refine individual
parameters;
/>>/ 3) There is no specific option in phenix.refine to restrain the
/>>/ secondary structure elements, however there is a tedious way of doing
/>>/ this (according to Ralf) by defining custom bonds and angles between
/>>/ specific atoms forming the secondary structure motifs. Look
/>>/ "Definition of custom bonds and angles" in the latest CCI Apps
/>>/ phenix.refine documentation for technical details.
/>>/
/>>/ You can perform "1)" and "2)" in ONE refinement run by combining
/>>/ several refinement strategies and using specific selections for
/>>/ refinable parameters.
/>>/
/>>/ Overall, at 3.8A resolution the refinement of individual atomic
/>>/ parameters (coordinates, B-factors) is questionable. I would consider
/>>/ to try to refine group parameters for B-factors (trough TLS or/and
/>>/ group B (like one B per residue)) and try to switch between rigid
/>>/ body refinement of smaller fragments of your model and refinement
/>>/ individual positional parameters or mix of individual and rigid body
/>>/ refinement.
/>>/
/>>/ Also, I will think about making a specific option for automatic
/>>/ generation of secondary structure restrains. However, given the
/>>/ amount of work it may require this option will not appear in near
future.
/>>/
/>>/ Pavel.
/>>/
/>>/
/>>/ Jianghai Zhu wrote:
/>>>/ Hi all,
/>>>/
/>>>/ I am refining a low resolution structure (~3.8 A). For some of the
/>>>/ domains in the structure, we already have high resolution
/>>>/ structures. Despite of some conformational changes in some loops,
/>>>/ the core structures should be the same. I am wondering if it is
/>>>/ possible to restrain the secondary structures in phenix.refine.
/>>>/
/>>>/ Thanks.
/>>>/
/>>>/ Jianghai/

--
Dr. Nikos Pinotsis

This e-mail message is confidential and for use by the addressee only.  If the message is received by anyone other than the addressee, please return the message to the sender by replying to it and then delete the message from your computer and network.