[phenixbb] Restricting real-space refinement and weights to specific atom selections

Josh Cofsky josh.cofsky at gmail.com
Sun Sep 12 18:42:25 PDT 2021

I now realize that I am confused as to what the mentioned "weight"
parameter refers to. The Phenix RSR documentation contains a line that
reads "T = Tmap + weight * Trestraints"—if I'm understanding correctly (?),
this means a larger "weight" value should yield greater conformity to
geometric restraints at the expense of model/map fit. In reality, I observe
the opposite trend in my refinements (which is why I assumed it was a "map
weight"). Can someone clarify what "weight" (Refinement Settings > "Other
Options") refers to?

The reason I am exploring these questions is that Phenix RSR is introducing
bond angle outliers into a low-resolution area of a DNA molecule in my
model—most of the outliers are not acknowledged as such (by Phenix), and I
only become aware of them when the wwPDB validation tells me they are
there. I assumed this was the result of overfitting to the map because
setting "weight" to 0.0 prevented these outliers from appearing, but at the
expense of map-model fit in the remainder of the structure (which is why I
wanted to apply different weights to different segments of the model).

Thanks,
Josh