[phenixbb] Restricting real-space refinement and weights to specific atom selections

Josh Cofsky josh.cofsky at gmail.com
Tue Oct 19 17:08:24 PDT 2021

Thanks for that suggestion, Phil. After several weeks, I've finally found
solid answers to all my questions, which I'll write here in case anyone
reading this message is curious:

Q1: Is there any way to apply different map weights to different pieces of
the structure during refinement?
A1: Pavel tells me the answer is no—this feature is not available in Phenix
yet. The way I was able to accomplish something to a similar effect was by
performing full-model refinements at different weights. Then, in a final
refinement job, use torsion restraints from each of those output models (as
reference models) across the desired stretches of residues. Clunky, but it
solved a few problems for me.

Q2: How is the generic "weight" parameter at the bottom of the Phenix GUI
applied to the refinement?
A2: The target function is T = Tmap * weight + Trestraints. At the time of
writing this message, there is a typo in the Phenix Real-Space Refine
documentation, which incorrectly reports the target function as "T = Tmap +
weight * Trestraints" (Pavel confirmed).

Q3: Why is the PDB validation telling me I have geometric issues that were
not acknowledged by Phenix?
A3: Phil is right. The ESD for several nucleic acid bond lengths and angles
is wide as compared to the sigma tolerated by wwPDB. To fix this, I went
into the CIF files within the geostd folder and made the following changes
to the troublesome RNA and DNA nucleotide files:
*data_AD.cif, data_TD.cif, data_CD.cif, data_GD.cif:*
length:
C1'-N1, ESD=0.020
C3'-O3', ESD=0.020
angles: