[phenixbb] Problems with sharpening in Autosharpen

Tom Terwilliger tterwilliger at newmexicoconsortium.org
Fri May 21 13:16:57 PDT 2021

Hi Carlos,

Normally if you apply a B-sharpen of 220 to a 3 Å map, the new map should
look really different from the original map (no matter whether you do it
yourself or autosharpen does it).  So best guess is that something is not
happening the way you would like it to be.

A suggestion:  run the quick autosharpen tutorial data supplied with
Phenix.  Presumably it will work normally.  Then tell autosharpen to blur
that map to 300 A**2.  This map should look something like your map (does
it?). Now apply autosharpen to the blurred map.  It should apply a
B-sharpen of about 250 or so (does it?).  And the new blurred - then -
sharpened map should look good.

Let me know if that doesn't work!
All the best,
Tom T

On Fri, May 21, 2021 at 8:50 AM Carlos HENRIQUE FERNANDES <
carlos.henrique_fernandes at sorbonne-universite.fr> wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I am facing some problems with sharpening in Autosharpen.
> My current map is about 3.2 Å resolution, which I obtained after
> CTF-Refinement and Polishing in Relion.
> When I use Autosharpen in default parameters, it tells me that are applied
> an overall Bsharp applied of 220.34 and a final Biso of 87.42; but very
> little sharpening is done; I was unable to observe a typical helices
> sharpening at this value of resolution.
> I did some tests setting progressive Bsharp values (240; 260; 280; 300),
> but I am still unable to visualize a typical helices sharpening.
> Has anyone had problems like that? Any tips?
> Thanks in advance,
> Carlos.

Thomas C Terwilliger
Laboratory Fellow, Los Alamos National Laboratory
Senior Scientist, New Mexico Consortium
100 Entrada Dr, Los Alamos, NM 87544
Email: tterwilliger at newmexicoconsortium.org
Tel: 505-431-0010