[phenixbb] phenix.molprobity geo

Christopher Williams christopher.sci.williams at gmail.com
Thu Mar 4 10:51:11 PST 2021

Hi Paul,

As I understand it, a .geo file is most usually produced as one of the
outputs of refinement.  A few different places, such as this documentation (
https://www.phenix-online.org/documentation/file_formats.html#geometry-restraints-info-geo)
and this newsletter article (
http://phenix-online.org/newsletter/CCN_2016_01.pdf#page=10) mention this
method of generation.

However, you can generate a geo file directly from a model with this
commandline:
phenix.pdb_interpretation *your_model.pdb* write_geo_files=True
This is probably the more useful option for your purposes.

For understanding clashes, I recommend running phenix.clashscore and using
its dedicated and complete output.  This will return a list of all the
clashes, sorted in order of severity.

As to non-bonded interaction distances, I believe that they are close
approaches between atoms that are not covalently bonded.  As you can see
from the histogram bins (1.87 - 2.42, 2.42 - 2.96, 2.96 - 3.51, 3.51 -
4.05, 4.05 - 4.60A), these distances do not necessarily indicate clashes,
but instead cover a range of distances in the general vdW contact region.
The distribution of this histogram gives a general sense of how well packed
the model is.

Very close non-bonded interactions may register as clashes in Probe and/or
may generate various error messages in Phenix depending on your options.
For various reasons, there is not an exact mapping between close non-bonded
interactions and clashes.

Hopefully someone with a better understanding of the nonbonded distances
will be able to chime in with a better explanation.

Good luck,
-Christopher Williams
---Richardson Lab, Duke University