[phenixbb] Improvement of low resolution MR phases

Pavel Afonine pafonine at lbl.gov
Mon Jun 28 14:12:18 PDT 2021

Hi Tommi,

5-6 A is a tough resolution so don't expect things easy with any method
or software package. Plus, methods (eg., density modification,
refinement, model building) are typically optimized towards higher
resolution. But with some luck and effort, you can make it work. Some
suggestions that are appropriate to try at this resolution:

- if NCS is present, try NCS constraints vs restraints, and see what
works best;

- optimize coordinate and B factor weight if Rfree-Rwork gap is overly
large or geometry is poor;

- use all possible information (if available): reference model
restraints, secondary structure restraints (with careful
manually-verified annotation of SS), Ramachandran plot restraints;

- if model needs some substantial movement to fit the map, try Simulated
Annealing;

- try density modification to see if you get a more interpretable map
that can help you to build a better model (Tom can correct me, but I
thought NCS averaging happens as part of DM).

This is all I can think of...

Pavel