[phenixbb] Postdoctoral Scholarship Opportunity in the Lane group (PBIO) CFEL/DESY, Hamburg, Germany

TJ Lane thomas.lane at desy.de
Tue Jun 8 02:26:34 PDT 2021

Uncovering protein dynamics: developing statistical crystallography
Postdoctoral Scholarship

Cluster of Excellence: Advanced Imaging of Matter

Center for Free Electron Laser Science (CFEL), Hamburg, Germany

Protein motion is at the heart of life, but remains challenging to witness
firsthand. Proteins move to reading and copying DNA, convert sunlight into
chemical energy, and transmit signals between cells, yet our ability to
image these functions is limited by the technology we have to image protein
dynamics.

A new opportunity to meet this challenge is emerging, however, as
crystallographic methods advance. We can now collect data from thousands to
millions of crystals of the same protein, and it is clear no two crystals
are identical. Thus, analyzing their distribution may reveal protein
structural fluctuations directly. Can we develop a statistical
crystallography to turn these large datasets into knowledge about protein
dynamics? Can we use statistical analysis of crystal-to-crystal variation
to separate signal from noise in time resolved experiments, revealing
protein motion induced by mixing with a ligand or excitation with a pump
laser? We seek a computational scientist who will answer these questions.

As the ideal candidate, you will have the following key attributes:

* A doctoral degree in physics, biophysics, chemistry, applied mathematics
or a related field
* Working knowledge of macromolecular crystallographic methods and software
* A track record of scientific computing and programming
* The ability to drive your work independently and show initiative

And you will be excited to take on the following responsibilities:

* Mathematical modeling of protein dynamics and protein crystal diffraction
data
* Interpretation and analysis of experimental results
* Open-source development to make your insights available to the broader
scientific community
* Presenting your work in written and oral form to the scientific community
* Helping to foster an environment conductive to collaboration, learning,
growth, and fun

Available immediately is a two-year contract with a competitive salary and
the opportunity to work and live in the beautiful and vibrant city of
Hamburg, Germany. The group is housed at the Center for Free Electron Laser
Science on the vibrant DESY campus (Luruper Chaussee 149, 22761 Hamburg,
Germany).

This position is funded through the Advanced Imaging of Matter Cluster of
Excellence (https://www.cui-advanced.uni-hamburg.de/en.html). The
successful candidate will become a fellow of the cluster and have access to
career support, training opportunities, and an engaging scientific network
via the cluster. The candidate will have additional technical and
mentorship support from partners Andrea Thorne, Arwen Pearson, and Nicholas
Pearce and their groups during the course of the project.

We are an equal opportunity employer. Women and minorities are encouraged
to apply and handicapped persons will be preferred given equal
qualifications.

Application deadline: 17 June 2021
Applications should include a cover letter, a tabular curriculum vitae, and
copies of degree certificate(s). Please send applications by email to: <
thomas.lane at desy.de>

For more details, write directly to TJ Lane: <thomas.lane at desy.de>

Cross-Posting on the AIM Cluster of Excellence page (funding source for
this project):
https://www.uni-hamburg.de/stellenangebote/ausschreibung.html?jobID=4c3ff9d2b6bcfbed3ee252108b0e5164fab487a9