[phenixbb] Specifying import-time dependencies in _ext libraries?

Russell M. Taylor II russellmtaylorii at gmail.com
Wed Aug 18 05:31:39 PDT 2021

I've developed an mmtbx_probe_ext module that makes use of objects
defined in iotbx_pdb.  I've added that library to LIBS= in the
SConscript file, and it is able to link and run properly.

However, when a Python script imports mmtbx_probe_ext, that load
fails unless the same script has previously imported from iotbx:

The following works:
         from iotbx.map_model_manager import map_model_manager
         import mmtbx_probe_ext as probe

But the following fails:
         import mmtbx_probe_ext as probe
         from iotbx.map_model_manager import map_model_manager

         ImportError:
/home/taylorr/rlab/cctbx-reduce-python27/build/lib/mmtbx_probe_ext.so:
undefined symbol: _ZNK5iotbx3pdb9hierarchy5chain5atomsEi

How do I tell Sconscript (or what do I do in my _bpl file) to tell
Python that it needs to load the other module first?

Thanks,
Russ Taylor

---
Russell M. Taylor II,