[phenixbb] Phenix installation

Billy Poon BKPoon at lbl.gov
Wed May 6 10:50:03 PDT 2020

Hi Sam,

Great! Can you provide the full log during installation? Also, in the
installer directory after running the installer, there will be a "base_tmp"
directory that has 2 log files. Can you post or send me the log output? I'd
like to pinpoint which script is looking specifically for /usr/bin/python.
I also want to make sure that the installer works regardless of the Python
version used to run the installation script.

Hi Murpholino,

We are in the process of migrating Phenix to Python 3, but we want to make
sure everything works the same before making Python 3 installers available
to everyone. We have migrated CCTBX to work in Python 3 and we are running
continuous integration with Python 3.6, 3.7, and 3.8 on Azure Pipelines on
all platforms. Here's some example output from Azure Pipelines for some
upcoming changes (
https://dev.azure.com/cctbx/cctbx_project/_build/results?buildId=4561&view=results).
We'll be using the same approach to testing Phenix to ensure consistency
while we make the changes for Python 3 compatibility.

Thanks for your patience!

--
Billy K. Poon
Research Scientist, Molecular Biophysics and Integrated Bioimaging