[phenixbb] Phaser-MR output after each component placement

Randy Read rjr27 at cam.ac.uk
Tue Jul 28 01:02:06 PDT 2020

Hi Boaz,

At the moment, that is indeed the only thing you can do with the partial solution information from the log file.  In the CCP4 environment, you can cut and paste lines from the log file to make a .sol file, and use that to run something like a refinement job to produce a PDB and MTZ for a partial solution, but the Phenix environment uses Python pickle files to store the transformations, so that option doesn’t apply.  (Unless you run Phaser from a script, in which case the Phenix and CCP4 versions work the same.)

At one point, Phaser was writing out a PDB file for the top solution at every point in the process, but we felt that led to clutter and that it was confusing.

There’s a major rewrite going on at the moment, and the new phasertng will primarily be run through the phaser.voyager pipeline.  One of the design criteria here was to be able to examine branches that weren’t taken or intermediate points in the ongoing search, and to be able to work with them while the overall job is still running.  So there will be a better option in the hopefully not too distant future!

Best wishes,

Randy

-----
Randy J. Read
Department of Haematology, University of Cambridge
Cambridge Institute for Medical Research     Tel: +44 1223 336500
The Keith Peters Building                               Fax: +44 1223 336827
Hills Road                                                       E-mail: rjr27 at cam.ac.uk
Cambridge CB2 0XY, U.K.                              www-structmed.cimr.cam.ac.uk