[phenixbb] problems running refinement of shaken model against half map

Pavel Afonine pafonine at lbl.gov
Fri Nov 22 11:49:14 PST 2019

Hi Lisa

> For the validation of my model to my map in phenix 1.17.1 I tried to
> refine my shaken model (0.5Å) against my half map in phenix real space
> refine.

first off, I think this way of validation is quite faulty
conceptually... How you know 0.5A is the best number and say not 0.7 or
0.3? By shaking the model, you validate the shaken (perturbed) model,
which is not the model you are publishing and reporting statistics for.
If you shake the model twice with same shake doze, you will get two
different models with the same amount of perturbation, which means
numbers you derive from such models can (and likely will) be different.
So... with this in mind I'm not really seeing any use of such a
validation approach; this does not make sense to me at all!

Instead, why wouldn't you just follow the standard validation procedure,
where you validate the model, the data and the model-to-data fit? The
Phenix tool for this is "Comprehensive validation (cryo-EM)", it is
available in the GUI and it is one stop to do all of this. And if you
want to find uncertainties in atomic positions due to refinement
converging to local minima, you can use phenix.mia tool that will
generate and refine many perturbed models using exact same way and give
you an ensemble of models that can show local variations.

All of the above described here:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/30198894

Good luck and let me know if you have any questions!

Pavel