[phenixbb] Post-doctoral position in membrane protein structural biology

Hasan, Syed Saif SsHasan at som.umaryland.edu
Fri Aug 30 12:16:44 PDT 2019

A post-doctoral research position is high-resolution structural biology of membrane protein complexes is available in my laboratory at the Institute for Bioscience and Biotechnology Research (IBBR; https://www.ibbr.umd.edu/profiles/s-saif-hasan) in Rockville MD. The post-doctoral researcher will have a choice of multiple structure-focused projects in cancer biology and viral pathogenesis using single particle cryoEM and crystallography. The researcher will have independence to guide the direction of their research and to pursue novel ideas should (s)he find an interesting scientific question related to the general research focus of my laboratory.

IBBR is run jointly by the University of Maryland and the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST). We are home to a large community of structural biologists and have extensive interactions with national laboratories and private companies located in the DC-Maryland area. Our new cryoEM facility houses a 200 keV Thermo Fisher Talos Arctica microscope equipped with a Falcon 3 direct electron detector. Our facilities will soon be expanded to include a new 200 keV Thermo Fisher Glacios microscope, a Gatan K3 direct electron detector and a Volta phase plate. My lab works in close collaboration with research groups in IBBR that specialize in mass-spectrometry, computational biology, NMR spectroscopy, and small angle X-ray scattering.

Applicants should have experience in insect or mammalian cell culture for protein production. Experience in handling membrane proteins will be helpful. Prior training in single particle cryoEM and/or crystallography is desirable but not essential. If you are a membrane protein biochemist, especially with experience in G-proteins, and you want to explore questions in structural biology, this is the position for you.

Applicants who have received their PhD or MD/PhD degree should email me (sshasan at som.umaryland.edu) a single PDF file containing a short cover letter (no more than one page), a detailed curriculum vitae, contact information for three references, and upto 3 reprints of representative first authorship publication(s).

The University of Maryland, Baltimore is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans are encouraged to apply.

Saif

S. Saif Hasan, PhD

Fellow, Institute for Bioscience and Biotechnology Research (IBBR), 9600 Gudelsky Drive, Rockville, MD 20850

Assistant Professor, Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, University of Maryland School of Medicine, 108 N. Greene St., Baltimore, MD 21201 AND Center for Biomolecular Therapeutics (CBT), 9600 Gudelsky Drive, Rockville, MD 20850
Phone: 240-314-6396
Fax: 240-314-6225
https://www.ibbr.umd.edu/profiles/s-saif-hasan