[phenixbb] (EXTERNAL) Validation Completeness Issue

Edward A. Berry BerryE at upstate.edu
Thu Nov 29 13:18:08 PST 2018

I had a similar experience (with the validatin report) and concluded it was due to phenix.refine using truncate-extended data but validation using the original intensities without truncate, hence losing all the negative reflections (scary to think a significant portion of my data was originally negative!). However when the annotated pdb was prepared, it used my reported completeness not the lower value from validation.

I deposited the output reflections.cif from phenix.refine, and since I started refinement with I's in a .sca file, the final mmtz includes those I's (which I think is good). But then validation uses the I's without truncation and gets lower completeness. Interestingly they still repeated my R values pretty accurately.
I guess this would not happen if you first convert I's to F's with truncate and start refinement with the F's, as validation would be forced to use those F's.