[phenixbb] Software Engineer position to work with Phaser team in Cambridge

Randy Read rjr27 at cam.ac.uk
Thu Jun 21 03:57:21 PDT 2018

We've just advertised a position for a Software Engineer to work with us on the development of Phaser.  Detailed information on the position and how to apply can be found on the University of Cambridge website (http://www.jobs.cam.ac.uk/job/17918/) and on jobs.ac.uk (http://www.jobs.ac.uk/job/BKS034/software-engineer).

The text of the job description is appended, if you'd like to look at that before clicking on one of the links!

Best wishes,

Randy Read

=================

We are looking for a graduate Software Engineer to join the group of Prof Read in the Cambridge Institute for Medical Research (http://www.cimr.cam.ac.uk/), based at the Cambridge Biomedical Campus in Cambridge. The well-established project develops mathematical methods and software for the imaging of biological molecules. The software supports academic and pharmaceutical R&D worldwide.

You will be joining a small expert academic team. The successful applicant will have a careful approach to software development. Your software will be required to be reliable, algorithmically fast, and memory efficient. We have a slow development cycle and the code you write will be in use for the foreseeable future. Your individual contribution will be recognised with authorship of peer-reviewed articles; publications from our group have a track record of being highly cited.

The project is funded by the National Institute of Health (USA) and the successful applicant will have the opportunity to join bi-annual collaborative meetings that cycle among Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory (Berkeley, California), Duke University (Durham, North Carolina) and the New Mexico Consortium (Santa Fe, New Mexico). We also have an active collaboration with IBMB- CSIC (Barcelona, Spain).

Software is open source (https://git.uis.cam.ac.uk/x/cimr-phaser/phaser.git/summary). We use the C++0x/C++11 standard to maintain cross-platform compilation and compatibility. You will have access to the University of Cambridge's computing resources, and a laptop will be provided.

Qualifications and Experience: University degree that includes computer science and/or mathematics, experience with C++ and the Linux OS. Skills in Python scripting, GPU programming and threading would be desirable. Knowledge of biology to A level standard or equivalent would be an advantage.

This appointment is full-time (37 hours/week Monday to Friday) but we welcome applications from individuals who wish to be considered for part-time working or other flexible working arrangements.

Royalty payments from software will extend beyond the lifetime of the contract. University of Cambridge employment benefits include USS pension, and reduced staff fees for University of Cambridge graduate courses (see http://www.jobs.cam.ac.uk/offer/ for a full list).

For more information on the research group see https://www.cimr.cam.ac.uk/research/principal-investigators/principal-investigators-q-z/read, and details of the Phaser project can be found at http://www.phaser.cimr.cam.ac.uk/.

Fixed-term: The funds for this post are available untill 30th April 2022.
------
Randy J. Read
Department of Haematology, University of Cambridge
Cambridge Institute for Medical Research      Tel: + 44 1223 336500
Wellcome Trust/MRC Building                   Fax: + 44 1223 336827
Hills Road                                    E-mail: rjr27 at cam.ac.uk
Cambridge CB2 0XY, U.K.                       www-structmed.cimr.cam.ac.uk