[phenixbb] Detrmining pixel size

Reza Khayat rkhayat at ccny.cuny.edu
Sun Jul 8 13:37:58 PDT 2018

Hi,

A 1.38Å vs 1.40Å pixel size will make a tremendous difference for complexes like viruses.  Imagine an image reconstruction of a virus that is 200 pixels in diameter -pixels are an EM's readout, not distances.  At 1.38Å/pixel this is a diameter of 276Å, but at 1.40Å/pixel this is a diameter of 280Å.  A 2Å expansion is certainly biologically important.  So an incorrect pixel size of 0.02Å will give the perception that a biologically important phenomenon has occurred.  Thus, despite acceptable refinement statistics one can make incorrect conclusions based on incorrect pixel size.  I'm dealing with this problem when comparing my image reconstructions from different scope to crystal structures.

This problem is amplified as the virus size increases.

Best wishes,
Reza

Reza Khayat, PhD
Assistant Professor