[phenixbb] Questions on TLS output and more info on phenix.tls

Michael Garavito garavito at msu.edu
Mon May 29 17:58:11 PDT 2017

I am finishing the final stages of refinement with TLS at 1.7 Å and want to begin some B-factor analysis.  Also, I am setting up for a series of ensemble refinements. However, I am second guessing myself and have been finding that several basic questions that are not explicitly answered by the Phenix documentation.

(1) Just to be sure, I looked for the definition of what is written in the ATOM records of the output PDB file after refinement with TLS:  residual B or total B (residual B + TLS contribution). I always thought the latter after refinement with TLS, but nothing was explicitly stated.

(2) Also, I have looked for it extensively in the Phenix documentation, I have not found any information on phenix.tls, even though in several places (e.g., phenix.ensemble_refinement), there are explicit references to phenix.tls:  “If TLS is used the TLS components must be present in the atom records (see phenix.tls)”  The information from just doing % phenix.tls -h does not give enough insight into options and there use.

Can someone point me to the right place to get these answers?

Thanks,

Michael

R. Michael Garavito, Ph.D.
Professor of Biochemistry & Molecular Biology
513 Biochemistry Bldg.
Michigan State University
East Lansing, MI 48824-1319
Office:  (517) 355-9724     Lab:  (517) 353-9125
FAX:  (517) 353-9334        Email:  garavito at msu.edu