[phenixbb] Announcing the release of the Detergent Belt Server

vincent Chaptal vincent.chaptal at ibcp.fr
Wed Dec 13 04:53:02 PST 2017

This message is especially directed towards the membrane proteins community.

Dear everyone,

we are very pleased to announce the release of the Detergent Belt Server
->    http://detbelt.ibcp.fr

Following our discovery of a method to quantify detergents around
membrane proteins, we have build the detbelt server to allow for a
simple _representation of the detergent belt around your protein of
interest_. This representation is a simple approximation and grants a
rapid estimation of the detergent belt, especially fitted to
_biochemists_ to better understand what is going on in your test tube.
(Details on the server and the publication of the detergent
quantification method are available on the tutorial page).

The server allows you to play with different detergents interactively by
recomputing the belt in your web browser, which allows you to refine
your biochemical hypothesis. The server allows you to add several
detergents, each with different values, and will compute the volume
associated with these detergents mixtures. It outputs different metrics
making it easier to compare detergent-occupied volumes, and a PyMOL
script to generate a publication quality image.

For the moment, membrane protein pdb file should be pre-oriented using
the PPM server procedure as it runs slow on the server; please visit the
tutorial web page for more details (see "1"). We are working towards
speeding up this process and making it all integrated in the near
future. For testing purposes, I attach a pre-oriented pdb so that you
can have an idea of the information you can obtain.

Finally, we welcome any feedback to this alpha release; we welcome bug
reports as well as creative feedback: if you think this tool has some
potential for your research, please contact us and we will see what can
be done.

Wishing you good visualization
All the best
The DetBelt team

--

Vincent Chaptal, PhD

Institut de Biologie et Chimie des Protéines

Drug Resistance and Membrane Proteins Laboratory

7 passage du Vercors

69007 LYON

FRANCE

+33 4 37 65 29 01