[phenixbb] Planarity restraint ignored when dist_esd equal to 0

Randy Read rjr27 at cam.ac.uk
Wed Sep 28 00:53:26 PDT 2016

I've been following this from the sidelines with some interest!

In terms of the point that a Gaussian with a zero sigma is a delta function, that is mathematically true but it would be asking a lot of programmers to take the limit of an integral in their evaluation code!  Setting the sigma to an arbitrarily small number to simulate a constraint creates great potential numerical stability problems, because this makes both the first derivative (gradient) and second derivative (curvature) tend towards infinity.  If you have an algorithm (like LBFGS) that infers the curvature from the behaviour of the gradient as parameters are varied, the algorithm typically can't cope with huge variations in curvature.  Even if you're using a full second derivative matrix in Newton's method (which is rather uncommon in refinement programs), the matrix inversion step will become less numerically stable.

So it seems that the best is to have sensible restraints for things that are allowed to vary and proper constraints for things that aren't allowed to vary.  Whether or not you might choose to flag constraints by assigning zero sigmas is perhaps partly a matter of programming aesthetics, but it's much more obvious to the user that something very different will be done under the hood if the constraint flag is more explicit.

Best wishes,

Randy