[phenixbb] Failed to refine B factors of some residues and ligands

Christian Roth christianroth034 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 31 09:11:50 PDT 2016

Hi Dorothee

to answer your questions

The resolution is about 2.0 Ang and the average B around 55. The Bfactor
from the ligand was set to the default of 20 by Coot when placing the
ligands.

It seems that setting the B-value to the average B of the structure
nearly solves the problem (most of the ligand fine, just parts with
unusuallly high values). Setting it to a bit higher values 70 for a
start and the ligand refines fine.

I noticed that in the first macrocycle with and initial factor of 20,
the B's are nearly unchanged (20 +- 2) Red diff density appears as
expected. In the second cycle The minimizer let the B-factors "explode"
to about 200 and that basically is the overkill and it never recovers.

HTH

Cheers

Christian