[phenixbb] XN-refinement

Tim Gruene tim.gruene at psi.ch
Fri Oct 14 07:51:18 PDT 2016

Hi Pavel,

in 1978, there was a version of shelxl for joint refinement of X-ray and
neutron data (Orpen, Pippard, Sheldrick, Acta Cryst (1978) B34 2466-2472)
The paper now cited for the Hirshfeld test (Acta Cryst A32 (1976) pp239)
discusses the combination of refinement against neutron and X-ray data,
including many references to Phil Coppens, although I cannot tell if this
refers to joint refinement.

I appreciate your summary, it matches the conclusions about refinement against
neutron data I mentioned earlier, to use the X-ray data as information for
restraints.

For macromolecular data, the restraints often contribute greatly to the data
to parameter ratio, e.g. for a shelxl refinement of 1L2K, there are about 1300
reflections, 40,000 restraints and 9,000 parameters. And since the starting
structure has often already been refined against the X-ray data anyhow, why do
it again and risk a mix-up with your points of interest?

Cheers,
Tim

Paul Scherrer Institut
Dr. Tim Gruene