[phenixbb] phenix gui starting up for one, not for other users

Billy Poon bkpoon at lbl.gov
Tue Nov 1 13:46:59 PDT 2016

Hi Wolfram,

To make sure I understand, everyone is using the same physical machine, and
users are trying to access a single Phenix installation in user x's home
directory?

What happens if user y installs Phenix (either 1.11.1 or 1.10.1) in his/her
own directory? If this works, I'm guessing there are some permissions
issues with the files in ~x/prog. It is possible to create one shared
Phenix installation, but every user needs read-access.

Also, please set LC_ALL to something that ends with ".utf8" or ".UTF-8".
Otherwise, Phenix will try to set it to U.S English wit utf8 support. This
is because the latest version of Phenix supports non-ASCII characters and
this setting is required. Typically, LC_ALL can be the same as the LANG
environment variable.

--
Billy K. Poon
Research Scientist, Molecular Biophysics and Integrated Bioimaging