[phenixbb] MolProbity C-beta outliers

Christopher Williams christopher.sci.williams at gmail.com
Mon Jul 18 10:35:52 PDT 2016

Hi Yufan,

MolProbity developer here.  You have asked a very reasonable question.

The "angle" reported in the C-beta position outliers is a dihedral defined
by the residue's N-CA-idealCB-modeledCB positions.  If you are looking at
the markup kinemage, that's N-CA-purple sphere-modeled CB.  This dihedral
indicates the direction of the CB deviation relative to the ideal CB
position and the geometry of the residue.  You can imagine the CB deviation
in a radial coordinate space, with the ideal position at 0, and the modeled
position at some distance and angle.

Generally speaking, the deviation distance is the most intuitive and
interpretable measure, but the angle - the angular position of the modeled
atom in radial space - may be useful in some applications.  On the
MolProbity website, after validating a structure, you can find a "Cbeta
deviation scatter plot" that uses this radial representation of CB geometry.

Thanks for the questions, and hope that helps,
-Christopher Williams
---Richardson Lab, Duke University