[phenixbb] Dual conformation on symmetry axis

Andreas Forster docandreas at gmail.com
Fri Feb 5 01:21:05 PST 2016

Tim,

with MD simulation I get the right answer no matter where I model the side
chain.  As long as it is there, it will be subject to the force field and
will move into the right position.  If the position is indeed the right
one, it will be same no matter where the side chain started out, as long as
the simulation reached equilibrium.  If the side chain is disordered in the
structure, MD will also show that by having the side chain float around
aimlessly - but only if it's there in the first place.

For surface charge plots, I'd argue that the exact position of the charged
group doesn't matter either because you don't expect atomic resolution
anyway but blue and red patches.  However, if the charged residues (which
are often flexible) aren't there, you'll just get gray and wonder why the
protein is soluble at all.  (Actually, you won't.  APBS will fail to
parametrize the erroneous structure because there are residues with missing
atoms.)

That's why it is critical to model ALL side chains for which there is main
chain.

Best

Andreas