[phenixbb] Asymmetric unit content

Roger Rowlett rrowlett at colgate.edu
Mon Dec 12 07:28:13 PST 2016

The Matthews coefficient is relatively efficient at distinguishing
likely ASU content for N<=4.  However, the probability distribution of
the solvent content of protein crystals is broad enough that it is
difficult to distinguish from the Matthews coefficient alone if an ASU
has say, 4 or 6 (or 6 or 8) molecules in the ASU. Realistically, the
Matthews coefficient is going to give you a range of likely
possibilities. 1 vs. 2 is easy to distinguish. Not so 4 vs. 5 vs. 6.

Ultimately, you have to look at your MR solution and the molecule
packing in the unit cell. Said packing should make chemical sense, and
reveal highly symmetric solvent channels. A periodic "gap" in your
crystal packing, supported by un-filled electron density, is a clue that
something might be missing. At 7A resolution, I would suspect that the
electron density clarity would not be terrific.

5 molecules in the ASU seems a bit odd to me. (4 or 6 seems more
probable.) If it is 5 molecules, one of the molecules would have to be
on a symmetry axis, completing a "symmetry" dimer, with two other dimers
in the ASU? I've seen 6 molecules in the ASU in C2, with one tetramer
and one half-tetramer on the symmetry axis. When solving that one, the
Matthews Probability calculator insisted that there were 4 molecules in
the ASU. Turned out to be 6. I initially placed 4 molecules  in the ASU,
and saw a clear crystal-packing gap for another dimer that would fit
neatly next to the symmetry axis.

_______________________________________
Roger S. Rowlett
Gordon & Dorothy Kline Professor