[phenixbb] refinement of coordinated ions

Pavel Afonine pafonine at lbl.gov
Sun Oct 18 12:59:38 PDT 2015

Hi Irina,

meaningfulness of what you are trying to do mostly depends on data
resolution. If data resolution is better than 3A then it is all good to
refine individual isotropic B factors of all atoms. Since Os is
electron-rich compared to the rest it may be good to refine anisotropic
B for Os only (isotropic for the rest). I don't think you need to refine
group B. Yes, you need to refine all - coordinates, B and likely
occupancies of Os. Error in one of these parameters will go into other
parameters. R-factors 25/34 is not good so I guess you are using
incorrect refinement strategy and/or model parametrization.

If you send me model and data and ligand cif files (if any) off-list I
might be able to suggest something that may work better.

A good approach is to run with all defaults first, and then if not
satisfied with results try to find a better way.

Good luck,
Pavel