[phenixbb] R free assignment in thin shells

Tim Gruene tg at shelx.uni-ac.gwdg.de
Thu Jun 4 00:21:49 PDT 2015

Dear mohamed noor,

thin shells are commonly picked in cases of twinned data. As Andrew
points out in the email you link, the NCS makes the refinement behave
well, so also you will probably get away with 'normal' randomly selected
reflections.

At high resolution the data to parameter refinement also increases and
the Rfree looses its meaning. That's one of the reasons why people don't
use Rfree for small molecule structure determination and why ML
refinement show not much improvement compared to least squares
minimisation (it's different for charge density studies, when the data
to parameter goes down again).

Regards,
Tim