[phenixbb] MR-SAD, SAD

Almudena Ponce Salvatierra maps.farma at gmail.com
Mon Jan 26 00:40:34 PST 2015

HI!

George gave me an idea actually... I did SAD phasing with Co sites and with
AutoSol I got a partial model, that I then edited. However, since you were
suggesting the phases should be better when you combine those from the
model with the experimental ones I ran Phaser-EP in SAD-MR mode. I have
provided the model I edited after AutoSol, my HA sites, and the data, and I
got a better map than even just with AutoSol!!! I mean, when I submit it to
Resolve, after phaser. :-)

Is it a good solution if the FOM is 0.49 and LLG is 36449.63 after Phaser?

Sooo thanks a lot for the inspiration! (it's not so easy on Monday
mornings!!)

Best wishes,

Almudena.

>:

> Hi Georg,
>
> I would say probably neither a bug nor exactly "normal"...
>
> If everything were ideal, then an MR solution, even if very distant and
> contributing very little phase information, should improve the Phaser
> identification of the sub-structure.  Therefore as you imagine, including
> it should have improved the situation.  In real life there is a lot of
> noise in the system, so small changes can sometimes make the difference
> between finding sites and not. Also the default parameters for Phaser
> sub-structure identification are not exactly the same for MR-SAD and for
> extreme defaults in autosol.
>
> I am guessing that autosol, with extreme defaults, managed to find
> something that was partially correct, then the iteration of the
> substructure search (using density from the density-modified map and/or
> partial model that was built) resulted in additional sites, while MR-SAD
> did not happen to identify any convincing sites and autosol stopped.
>
> On your second question...the HL coefficients from MR-SAD are actually
> produced twice in the output MTZ file; once with information from the
> model  (HLA HLB etc) and once without information from the model. (HLanomA
> HLanomB etc). I think in general your intuition is right and the best map
> will come from including model information.  However if you would like to
> reduce model bias, you might want to exclude model information and use the
> HLanomA etc.  The map coefficients (FWT PHWT) in the
> overall_best_denmod_map_coeffs.mtz from MRSAD will include or not include
> the model information based on how you set the parameter
> use_hl_anom_in_denmod (default is False, use HL coeffs and include model
> information).
>
> I'll pass on the other requests!
>
> All the best,
> Tom T

Almudena Ponce-Salvatierra
Macromolecular crystallography and Nucleic acid chemistry
Am Fassberg 11 37077 Göttingen
Germany