[phenixbb] questions related to Phenix refinement

Kay Diederichs Kay.Diederichs at uni-konstanz.de
Sun Jan 18 10:30:45 PST 2015

Dear Pavel,

thanks for your thoughtful email! I am not going to try and comment on every specific point you make, mostly because I don't see any fundamental disagreement. People should really go and read the papers you cite; reading mailing lists is not a substitute for that.
Let me just make one remark: crystallography, although it resides on firm grounds, is complex enough that there are no simple rules for everything. It is oversimplification that has done a bad service to our science; just think of the "religious" Rsym cutoffs, in use until not long ago, that has caused people to discard a lot of valuable data. This is why I am against seemingly innocent rules of thumb like "the high-resolution cutoff should be done at X I/sigma or when the completeness falls below Y %" (and no, I'm not implying that you said this). There are better ways, but they are not as simplistic.

best,

Kay

--
Kay Diederichs                            http://strucbio.biologie.uni-konstanz.de