[phenixbb] How should we estimate the "uncertainty" of the occupancy of an atom?

Tim Gruene tg at shelx.uni-ac.gwdg.de
Wed Feb 11 00:54:53 PST 2015

Dear Masaki UNNO,

esds (estimated standard deviations) are calculated by full-matrix
least-squares refinement as we carried out in order to estimate the
uncertaintiy of the occupancy values of the ions in potassium
channels. It is described in the Supplemental Material of
http://www.sciencemag.org/content/346/6207/352
SHELXL will also provide you with the correlation coefficient between
the B-values and the occupancy. If you refine the atom in question
anisotropically, the CC drops a little bit.

Wit dynamic memory allocation the only limit to full-matrix
least-squares refinement is the RAM of your computer (and patience as
it may take some time even with only a single refinement cycle). It
has been done a 1A resolution (PDB ID 4KGD).

Best,
Tim