[phenixbb] Global metrics for Ramachandran quality beyond %outliers?

Andreas Förster docandreas at gmail.com
Mon Feb 9 02:57:43 PST 2015

Since I started this, I should comment - though I don't have access to
all the files at the moment.

With tightening of the Ramachandran plot, I meant that the number of
residues in the allowed region decreased dramatically.  Favored went
from 88% or so to 96%.  Visually, the plot changed from the million star
motel to well defined areas of spots.

In Phenix, I used secondary-structure restraints on what were during the
initial built mostly ideal helices, individual B values, NCS, TLS and
weight optimization (no phi/psi angles restraints).

Buster-TNT with NCS and TLS restraints and pretty much all defaults
tidied up the Ramachandran plot and improved R values by more than four
percentage points.  I know that what matters is the electron density and
the side chains I can place with confidence, in particular in the active
side.  There, the situation is less clear, but I'm still working on this.

Best.

Andreas