[phenixbb] Global metrics for Ramachandran quality beyond %outliers?

Dale Tronrud detBB at daletronrud.com
Thu Feb 5 11:13:24 PST 2015

   The phi/psi plot is a particularly poor source of restraints
because it presents a global view, not a specific one.  The "outlier"
idea comes from a look at the blank spaces in a plot compiled from
many, many protein models.  Correctly configured residues in those
regions are rare (although they do exist).

   The problem with looking in the mass of the plot is exemplified by
the strong peak at the alpha-helix region.  In the average of many
models there are quite a few alpha helical residues.  There are,
however, proteins that contain no alpha-helicies.  Should a refinement
program try to turn some of the residues in such a protein into
alpha-helices just to match the global expectations?  Of course not.
The problem is that knowing the phi/psi angles of a residue in the
"allowed" region does not give you any clue as to whether that residue
would be better off a little to the right or a little to the left.

   If you noticed that a residue was in an alpha-helix but didn't have
the consistent phi/psi angles and you could nudge it closer without
hurting the fit to density much, that might be a good idea.  Context
is the key.

   There is a paper which points the way for doing this.
Hollingsworth, et al, (2012, JMB 416, 78-93) looks at successive pairs
of phi/psi angles and shows that they tend to cluster in 4D space.  It
might be useful to identify the motif of each residue and try to move
it toward the center of that motif's distribution.  Then you would be
making an alpha-helix residue a better alpha-helix and a type I turn a
better type one turn.  You model would have to be good enough to get
the motif right at the start and that limits the radius of convergence.

   A 2D phi/psi plot has too little information to make individual
restraints beyond simple "outlier" boundaries.  4D or 6D plots have
much more hope of success.

Dale Tronrud