[phenixbb] Anisotropic B-factors with Trucated Data

Pavel Afonine pafonine at lbl.gov
Sat Aug 1 12:23:47 PDT 2015

Dear John,

> And what would you use firstly to monitor success (an Rfree drop presumably but how much is of a drop is significant?) and second to guard against 'over fitting' eg (restraining the aniso Bij?).
>
> PDB Redo use a Hamilton Rfactor test algorithm to judge if aniso can sensibly be applied. That seems to me the ideal check (Hamilton).

Rfree and other single-number quality metrics are global figures, they
will not tell you if one or few refined B-factors are bad or atoms are
misfit or local geometry is distorted.

This is why when it comes to validation I like to think of it being
applied to data, model and model-to-data fit, for each item looking at
local and global metrics:
http://phenix-online.org/presentations/latest/pavel_validation.pdf

Specifically to B-factors: I think Ethan Merritt's tools are most
comprehensive, such as
http://skuld.bmsc.washington.edu/parvati/
and other.

All the best,