[phenixbb] Refinement and Density modification

Pavel Afonine pafonine at lbl.gov
Mon Sep 8 23:14:49 PDT 2014

Hi Ashu,

2mFobs-DFmodel synthesis that phenix.refine outputs is not sharpened.
High overall atomic B (maximal common B-factor that can be subtracted
from all individual atomic B-factors that will still leave them
non-negative) is what makes the map blurred.
If we subtract this common B from individual atomic B-factors, recompute
Fcalc and then recompute Fmodel, which is

Fmodel = k_total * (Fcalc + Fbulk)

and then compute the new synthesis with amplitudes
(2mFobs-DFmodel)/k_total it will be sharpened (and likely similar to
what you used to build the model). Note, noise will be upscaled too
(this is the main reason why it is not done by default!).

We are thinking of making this map available as part of phenix.refine
output.

For now try this:

phenix.pdbtools shift_b_iso=SOME_NEGATIVE_VALUE model.pdb

where SOME_NEGATIVE_VALUE is negative B-factor, like -10 or so, chosen
such that subtracting it from atomic B will not leave them negative.

Then compute maps using modified PDB file:

phenix.maps model.pdb data.mtz

Pavel