[phenixbb] anomalous difference map

Scott Horowitz horowsah at umich.edu
Fri Oct 10 08:24:29 PDT 2014

So I have a followup question to this comment in the thread: what is
the origin of this rule of thumb of 1 and 3 sigma that people quote
for non-difference and difference maps that you can find all over the
internet at various sites, but nobody references? I can't find any
papers on it specifically, but it's quite possible I'm not digging far
enough back in time. Can anyone give me a lead?

Thanks,
Scott

On Wed, Sep 10, 2014 at 9:26 AM, Pavel Afonine <pafonine at lbl.gov> wrote:
> Hi Charles,
>
> I think the key here is what you call "no difference density peak". Sites
> may be partially occupied so rule of thumb for choosing contouring levels
> for 2mFo-DFc and mFo-DFc maps (1 and 3 sigma, correspondingly) may not be
> appropriate, for instance.
>
> Pavel
>

> On 9/10/14 6:10 AM, CPMAS Chen wrote:
>
> Thanks, Nat.
>
> If this is noise, why the anomalous or LLG peaks could be as high as 5 ~ 6
> sigma?
>
> Charles
>
> On Tue, Sep 9, 2014 at 5:58 PM, Nathaniel Echols <nechols at lbl.gov> wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, Sep 9, 2014 at 8:40 AM, CPMAS Chen <cpmasmit at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Is it possible that I have anomalous and LLG peak, but I have no
>>> difference density peak? In this case, is that because the model I have is
>>> not good enough or the diffraction data at this site of the model is
>>> missing?
>>

>> You should at a minimum see > 1sigma density in the 2mFo-DFc map, and if
>> the site is unmodeled (or modeled as a water) you should see an mFo-DFc peak
>> as well.  If neither of these applies, the anomalous and LLG peaks are
>> probably just noise.
>>
>> -Nat
>

> --

> Charles Chen
>
> Research Associate
>
> University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine
>
> Department of Anesthesiology

Scott Horowitz, Ph.D.
Research Associate
Howard Hughes Medical Institute

University of Michigan
Department of Molecular, Cellular, and Developmental Biology
Bardwell lab
830 N. University Ave, Room 4007
Ann Arbor, MI 48109
phone: 734-647-6683