[phenixbb] PHENIX installation errors with CentOS 6

Mark A. White mawhite at utmb.edu
Wed Oct 1 09:31:57 PDT 2014

Everyone,

Thanks to Tim and Nat for their help.  I was not able to resolve the
initial installation issues, however I did find that the FC12 binary
release did install and run on my CentOS 6 WS.  I did not try the source
installations.  I thought that some one else might find this information
useful:

CentOS 6: kernel 2.6.32-431.29.2.el6.x86_64

phenix-installer-dev-1810-intel-linux-2.6-x86_64-fc12.tar

Best regards,
Mark

On Wed, 2014-10-01 at 11:14 +0200, Tim Gruene wrote:

> An unlikely explanation is still more likely than none ;-) and it
> provides a starting point.
>
> Cheers,
> Tim
>
> On 09/30/2014 08:32 PM, Nathaniel Echols wrote:
> > On Tue, Sep 30, 2014 at 7:14 PM, Tim Gruene <tg at shelx.uni-ac.gwdg.de> wrote:
> >
> >> you have the warning
> >>
> >> "Warning: /usr/local/phenix-dev-1807 already exists, will be overwritten"
> >>
> >> I would remove the entire directory before installation. Old files with
> >> old time stamps might confuse the installation procedure.
> >>

> > Very unlikely.
> >

> >> for the older version: Do you have executable permission in /home? A
> >> cautious installer might mount /home without executable permission.
> >>

> > This is unlikely to result in a segfault.
> >
> > Mark, did you try the CentOS 5 build, and are you using the latest CentOS 6
> > revision?  The binary installer worked fine for me on one of our VMs
> > running CentOS 6.5.  I'm trying the source installer now.
> >
> > -Nat

Yours sincerely,

Mark A. White, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology,
Manager, Sealy Center for Structural Biology and Molecular Biophysics
Macromolecular X-ray Laboratory,
Basic Science Building, Room 6.630
University of Texas Medical Branch
Galveston, TX 77555-0647
Tel. (409) 747-4747
Cell. (281) 734-3614
Fax. (409) 747-1404
mailto://[email protected]
http://xray.utmb.edu

"Nothing is so fatal to the progress of the human mind as to suppose that our
views of science are ultimate; that there are no mysteries in nature; that our
triumphs are complete, and that there are no new worlds to conquer."
- Humphry Davy (1802)