[phenixbb] phasing high(er) resolution anomalous difference maps with low resolution phases

Terwilliger, Thomas C terwilliger at lanl.gov
Thu Mar 13 11:27:53 PDT 2014

Hi Todd,

I think all your ideas are worth trying.   I'd try both your lower-resolution phases and phases based on the helices you found.  No, you are not necessarily stuck at 6.2 A phases:

-- The helices may have phase information at higher resolution.
-- You can also take that phase set and use it as starting phases for density modification at higher resolution.  I think there isn't an answer to "how far is too far" other than "as far as you can get decent phases".
-- You can use phases from the helices at higher resolution (run refinement with whatever resolution data you have; then the map coefficients will be suitably weighted at all resolutions.

It is hard to say how high your anomalous peaks should be.  If they are very high (> 10 sigma) you are doing super-well  I'd say stick with about 3 sigma peaks just because those mostly will not be noise (some will be though).

Pavel Afonine is modifying phenix.find_peaks_holes to read in  map coefficients...so that should be available shortly.

Yes, once you get sites you can just read in a sites file to autosol along with your data and sequence file and that will carry out phasing and density modification as usual.  You might want to set helices_strands_only=True so it does not bother to try and build everything if you are still working at lower resolution.

All the best,
Tom T