[phenixbb] special positions

Pavel Afonine pafonine at lbl.gov
Wed Jun 18 13:01:37 PDT 2014

Hi Yarrow,

if you are at the water picking stage then it's almost certain you don't
need to do rigid-body refinement. Normally, you do rigid-body refinement
once at the very beginning if you believe it's necessary. Regarding that
water. What happens if you run refinement without rigid-body and with
automatic water update (that will add/remove/refine waters)?

Here is how phenix.refine treats atoms on special positions. It it
"sees" an atom close to special position (within some tolerance, which
is 0.5 or 1A, I forgot exact number) it moves that atoms exactly onto
special position, and then keep it there throughout refinement. So if
you see that water moves, then I guess it is close to s.p. but not
enough. Or perhaps there is something else is going on..

Pavel