[phenixbb] alternatives to RMSD

Dmytro Guzenko dmytro.guzenko at pharm.kuleuven.be
Thu Jul 3 04:09:08 PDT 2014

Hi Patrick

Take a look at the Binet-Cauchy kernel, e.g. here:
http://bioinformatics.oxfordjournals.org/content/30/6/784.long

It is a shape-correlation metric that is rather insensitive to global
shape changes, but sensitive to local ones. Maybe that's what you need.
It's also much faster to compute than RMSD.

I have attached a python code snippet that computes a BC distance matrix
for a set of proteins defined by CA coordinates.

Kind regards,
Dmytro.