[phenixbb] measuring the angle between two DNA duplexes

Xiang-Jun Lu 3dna.lu at gmail.com
Tue Jan 21 08:58:28 PST 2014

Hi Xiang,

Since you mentioned "or in other software", I think I can chime in to this
topic. The short answer is to see "How to calculate DNA bending angle?" (
http://forum.x3dna.org/faqs/how-to-calculate-dna-bending-angle/).

3DNA, following the original NewHelix algorithm, calculates a best-fitted
linear global helix (where sensible) using equivalent C1'...C1',
RN9/YN1...RN9/YN1 atom pairs along each strand. The so-called global
helical axis parameters are no longer widely used, but the best-fitted
linear helical axis is a useful concept, and has been kept in 3DNA and DSSR
[
http://forum.x3dna.org/rna-structures/dssr-software-for-defining-the-(secondary)-structures-of-rna/
].

HTH,