[phenixbb] XDS data

Tim Gruene tg at shelx.uni-ac.gwdg.de
Tue Jan 14 10:18:55 PST 2014

Dear Nat,

I won't need to send the header, the first line looks as you expect.
FRIEDEL'S_LAW=TRUE in the XDS_ASCII.HKL does not mean that the Friedel
pairs are merged (it would, though in XSCALE output in combination with
MERGE=TRUE). The former keyword affects the scaling, and both Wolfgang
Kabsch and George Sheldrick are of the opinion the scaling gives better
results by using twice the number of data without hampering with the
data quality by ignoring the anomalous differences.
XDS does not have the keyword 'merge', only xscale does, but there is
not reason to scale the data twice, as XDS output data are already scaled.

I will see how far I get with xscale output, but scientifically it would
be beneficial for phenix to allow said XDS format (I agree that shelx
hkl-format is not a joy for GUIs). We are using the latest release,
version 1.8.4.

Cheers,
Tim