[phenixbb] Phenix.ensemble_refinment questions

Joseph Brock joseph.brock at ki.se
Thu Dec 4 02:13:50 PST 2014

Hi all,

I hope it is OK if I revive this old thread to ask a few additional questions regarding phenix.ensemble_refinement, specifically regarding its use with data at atomic resolution.

While I had good and immediate results using the software with data sets at around 1.7 Å, I have been having a very hard time with a data set of 1.1 Å resolution, phenix.refine R/Rfree values of ~12/13% (alt conformations removed and ligand occupancy refined).

I have now tried allot of different combinations (~180!) screening:

- ptls values of 0.6, 0.7, 0.8, 0.9 and 0.95,

- wxray_coupled_tbath_offset values of 1, 2.5 and 5,

- and primary_map_cutoff values of 2.5, 3.0 and 3.5

combined with various different TLS definitions and restraints on ligands. I also tried to manually set tx values to 1.5, 2.0 and 2.5 to reflect those of a dataset of similar resolution (1KZK) reported in Burnely et. al., 2012. However, ensemble refinement consistently makes the model considerably worse, with the best Rfree values  I have achieved being ~15.

It just occurred to me that increasing the x-ray weight with wxray_coupled_tbath_offset values of ~10 would probably make sense for data of this quality, but I would be greatly appreciate any further tips if anybody has specific experience with using phenix.ensemble_refinement with high resolution datasets.

On a different note, Burnely et. al., 2012, shows some very cool figures in which atoms are coloured by atom probability. If there is an easy way to output these values, to say the occupancy column in the resulting .pdb files, I would love to hear it!

Thanks!

-Joseph.

Joseph Brock | PhD
Division of Physiological Chemistry II
Department of Medical Biochemistry and Biophysics
Karolinska Institutet
Scheeles väg 2
SE-171 77 Stockholm, Sweden