[phenixbb] Low resolution refinement

Pavel Afonine pafonine at lbl.gov
Sat Apr 26 09:31:47 PDT 2014

A few more points:

- define secondary structure and use it in refinement. If you don't use
secondary structure restraints then even ideal secondary structure in
starting model will deteriorate after refinement at such low resolution.
Most importantly, make sure that secondary structure restraints that you
defined are actually used in refinement. If you suspect they are not
used in refinement - please report a bug right away.
You can use phenix.secondary_structure_restraints to let Phenix
automatically identify secondary structure. It is critical that you
manually review it, and edit if necessary (which most likely will be the
case) in order to get the most accurate annotation!

- while torsion NCS is a better option most of the time, at very low
resolution Cartesian NCS might be a betetr option. So, as Nat pointed
out, try both and see which one works best.

- if real-space refinement does not perform well in your case, please
report a bug, otherwise use it as it will eliminate rotamer outliers.
Again, if there is any suspicion that it does not perform as expected -
please report a bug.

- if there are Ramachandran plot outliers: fix them all manually fist,
then use Ramachandran plot restraints to prevent them from re-occurring
(Important: do not use Ramachandran plot restraints to fix the outliers!).

- if data set is severely incomplete - look at two 2mFo-DFc map: regular
and missing Fobs "filled" (phenix.refine outputs both maps).

Good luck!
Pavel