[phenixbb] Autobuild

Terwilliger, Thomas C terwilliger at lanl.gov
Fri Sep 6 16:29:44 PDT 2013

Hi Heather,

Oh I see. Yes, it is probably better to refine before building, either directly as you did or by setting refine_before_rebuild=True.

Autobuild really has just three ways of filling in those loops. One is running fit-loops (which it does in the middle of a cycle). Another is build_outside_model which it also does in the middle of a cycle. The third is just getting a better starting model so that chain extension fills in more residues.  You can have autobuild just do build_outside model by turning off all the other building options but my guess is it is not worth it (if you really want to do this you can see how this is done by looking at a parameters file for a sub-process run of autobuild when only build_outside_model is run).

My guess is that the unbuilt part of the structure might not be really clear in the maps. If this is the case, then it is pretty hard to build that part of the model.  Usually the best thing to do is get the best possible model (run autobuild, then phenix.refine, fix everything that is indicated by the Molprobity analysis and that you can see in the map), then use that in either refinement to get a 2Fo-DFc sigmaA-weighted map or phenix.autobuild maps_only=True to get a density-modified map.  Then examine that map to see if there is anything that clearly should be built.

You note that "once I ran fit_loops, I would get an error if I tried to put the new pdb file through refinement.".  If you could send me all the inputs and commands necessary to repeat that (or perhaps just the output PDB file) off-line then I can try and fix that problem.

All the best,
Tom T