[phenixbb] bad density for part of the electron density map

Wei Shi wei.shi118 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 6 13:39:45 PDT 2013

Hi Professor Read,
Thank you so much for your suggestions!
I used the brute rotation function in phenix GUI (Phaser-MR) but didn't get
any output and I don't know whether I set the running parameters right....
Below is what I did.
I first did the molecular replacement solution using only the C-terminal
domain as search model and got a solution. And, then I loaded the pdb file
from this molecular replacement solution onto Phaser-MR as Ensemble 1 and
click Ensemble is fixed partial solution and also load the pdb file for the
N-terminal DNA binding domain as Ensemble 2 and tell the program to search
for 2 copies of the N-terminal DNA binding domain. And for phaser mode, I
chose Brute rotation function. And then I went to 'settings' and 'search
parameters' and entered rotate, it displays Volume, Euler and Range and I
select 'around' for Volume and for Euler I entered the Euler values from
the molecular replacement solution using C-terminal domain as search model,
and for range I entered 30 (are these values I entered right???). And, I
also unclick 'select clustered peak'. Then, I ran the Phaser-MR with the
above settings but got no output file.... I don't know whether I did
something not correct....
Besides, from the Brute rotation function, what kind of output I am
expecting? How can this be used as input for translational searches and
what are the settings for the run? Thank you so much!

Best,
Wei