[phenixbb] Best practices for modified aminoacids

Morten Groftehauge mortengroftehauge.work at gmail.com
Tue Mar 5 06:16:29 PST 2013

Bump.

I have an S-methylcysteine sulfoxide so I downloaded it from WebCSD from
the CCDC website. So far so good. Available in three formats but I wanted
it to work as a modified residue so I followed the advice here. Opened it
in PyMol, saved it as a pdb file and edited the atoms in a text editor to
fit with a normal residue. But phenix.elbow doesn't treat sulfur correctly.
The geometry is right but it adds an extra hydrogen to the sulfur and the
oxygen - they should have a double bond instead. If I run phenix.elbow
directly on the files downloaded from WebCSD I get the double bond but I
also get a flat system; as if my sulfur was a carbon.
Yes, I tried --opt.
Attached the best results.
My phenix version is 1299.

tl;dr phenix.elbow fails at parameterising DMSO.

Help?

Cheers,
Morten