[phenixbb] how to make covelent link of BME with Cys and refine

Ed. Pozharski epozh001 at umaryland.edu
Wed Feb 13 15:08:42 PST 2013

Excellent point.  The difference between using bme and cme is rather ideological.  I would say that incorporating cme implies that your protein was somehow synthesized with non-canonical amino acid. Usind bme seems more in line with what actually happens - betamercaptoethanol forming disulfide bond with a cysteine.

In practical sense, both things work.  Until IUCr comes up with a convention, one is free to ignore ideological considerations :)