[phenixbb] off topic - linux flavors for crystallography

Nathaniel Echols nechols at lbl.gov
Wed Dec 11 15:15:48 PST 2013

On Wed, Dec 11, 2013 at 2:24 PM, Andreas Förster <docandreas at gmail.com>wrote:

> Everyone has a favorite distro, and they all work

I'm not sure about this - we have definitely found some distributions to be
easier to support than others, even just compiling Phenix from source.  My
advice would be to stick to distributions derived from RedHat (i.e. Fedora,
RHEL, CentOS, Scientific Linux) or Ubuntu, simply because we will go out of
our way to ensure that the binary Phenix installers work on these.  (They
also have Coot binaries.)  That doesn't mean other distributions are
necessarily unsuitable, but the software support may be patchier.

I can't remember what CCP4 builds on, but I would be surprised if it
doesn't support at least the same OSes.

-Nat